Set Project - Story outline
A knowing the story behind the created works is very important because we can understand the presented work better and the motifs that led the artist to create this work or series. As my Set Project is focused on the story of Witchcraft, mostly on the stories and fairytales that were made for sentenced women to death I decided to focus on these stories and created illustrations and sculptures based on them.
My first work presented one of these stories where young and beautiful women each month, during full moon night comes to the forest and dance around the fire as a symbol of worshipping the Devil. The colours that I used in this work have to imitate magic and connecting to Hell in my own way.
The purple is a symbol of magic and the green has to symbolize the hellfire. I thought that using reversed colours in my work would be a good idea because very often red colour resembles Hell and magic, well magic does not have a colour, in my opinion, it always is described as white magic (healing and helping people) and black magic (resembled with the death and lots of sacrifices in a various way) so I decided to create it using a purple that unexpected very well harmonize with the green.
Another work is a storyboard that presents witches that are creating a magic potion in a big kettle that can be seen in the foreground. This is the most popular story that was created as a description of what witches are doing. That's why I wanted to draw it. I decided to make it using every frame with the same colour palette but the characters will look differently.
I thought that drawing characters of various ages and appearances doing the same thing - creating a potion would be a great idea. I did not want to focus on only one part where I would present for example only ugly and wrinkled old women that are hysterically laughing with a smile with few teeth throwing ingredients to the cooking kettle.
My intention was to create frames that would present women that look differently, are young, old, pretty or ugly that has to show that everyone could be sentenced to death because of the other person prosecution.
Next work that I created I tried to make it in a little bit different way that was described in the stories. The witch is trying to escape from the monstrous tentacles of the big octopus. The image of the witch on the broom was included in this work because it is something that was showed and described in lots of books and movies. This is a stereotypical image of the witch that I wanted to include in my work but with some additional character to make it more interesting.
Another work that I created presented a young woman that is using black magic for making alive animal using a spellbook. This is also one of the stereotypical belief about the witches, that they have the ability to make dead alive again. I decided to create one of my work using this idea and this is how it looks like.






Comments
Post a Comment