Set Project - Witches' Sabbath

 As the date of the final project is approaching today I decided to create one of my works which is an illustration of Witches' Sabbath. 
This work was inspired by the movie The Coven of Sisters. The story is about a few village girls that were accused of being witches, trying to delay their execution they lure Inquizytor to the Witches' Sabbath. 


Aguero (2021) The Coven of Sisters

I really like this story because it shows the topic of the inquisition, Witch Trials and also medieval theme. It also is presented with a little bit of dark vibe and this is what I love in the movies. 

Firstly put a colour on my blank paper because I do not really like work with white background. I can say I started to be afraid of it a little bit that's why I always try to buy sketchbooks with yellow tones. Making outlines is a second thing that I did.


Then I added some colours and wooden pattern to the trees. As I want to make my work mostly in the purple colour I decided to combine this colour in the foreground with black thees on the background. That has to give a little space to my work. The moon in the back has to add more mystery and magic to the illustration.


Trying out a darker colour to the background was the next thing that 
I did but after doing it I decided to come back to the previous one because everything will look more clear with it than with using this dark blue.


Adding shadows under the trees and light part between them were next part that I focused on. For making it I use basic colour black - shadows and white - light part.


Next part that I concentrate on was creating a fire in the middle of my first Set Project work. Then I tried to try out to check how would it looks like in various colours using this table (on the left side, under layers). 


Lighter Colour 


Colour Burn


Difference 


Linear Light


I decided to use "Difference" and after editing it a little bit more green and light pink.


Added some black colour to the ground under the fire 


Drawing witches' dancing was the most difficult part for me because I had to not only focus on the bodies (that are not perfect but I tried my best) but also on the lights that the fire imitate and affect everything around. I decided to make them firstly in light pink that was also used in creating the fire in the middle of the illustration. And then adding black as a shadow and pink as light parts and blur it a little bit for making colour that movies from one to another -  that was created characters to my work.





Here are the final outcomes 


With black clouds in the sky 



Even if I went a little bit crazy with the colours - in the beginning, I wanted to create it using only three colours - purple, black and white I am glad that I added some green colour. These colours together give a more magical outcome. Even if I made some mistakes that can be seen in this illustration I think the final effect looks pretty good, exactly what I expected. Maybe there is not much space behind but I tried my best to show this atmosphere where young girls are dancing around the fire in full moon night, hidden between the trees in the forest. I think I archive this goal despite the small work size. 


References:

Pablo Aguero (2021) The Coven of Sisters https://www.helensobiralski.com/yello-1 [12.05.2021] 

Comments

Popular Posts