Set Project - Poster - Initial ideas
During our week 7 Art Portfolio classes we have to design a logo, poster or book cover for the project that we are doing this term.
As my project focuses entirely on witches and witchcraft I want to create a poster that would include one of this topic.
My first thought was to create a witch during preparing a magic potion in her house but I have an image of witches in my Set Project so I started to think about witchcraft and torture was carried out there. What kind of tools was used there and how the sentenced to death died.
In these posters, I really like the dark atmosphere that we can feel looking at it and the advantage of the black colour in each of the work. I think these posters even if some of them are for Tarot cards are very detailed and present the topic very well. There are presented the image of the witches that are using black magic, worship Satan and putting curses on people.
I started to think about using some of this equipment as a symbol of witchcraft. The first thing that comes to mind about this topic is burning witches at the stake or the famous "the swimming test". I think it would be a great match for my Set Project works.
Unfortunately, I could not find any posters with that kind of topic so I made a little research and look at the movies where were presented these situations.
Another idea comes to my mind during listening song This is a man's world by James Brown to create a poster that has a symbolic meaning. I would create it in a caricatural and a little bit funny way.
For doing it I might inspire by the photo doodle that I made recently. I was thinking about using men images for creating this poster as an image of dominancy and power against women but in a mockery way.
These posters are pretty funny to me especially the titles that were put on them. Each of them is unique and have a different effect on the viewer. For example, in the second poster, we can see a half-naked man that is standing proudly and is holding close to his chest adult men. I think this the poster for the dads that should not feel ashamed taking care of the babies in public places but I am not sure. It shows the parenting side of the man but at the same time it does not shows it at all. I am not sure how should I interpret it.
The way it is made and the title added to it is really hilarious. Even if it has not much in common with my Set Project this is the result that I want to archive. A serious topic showed in a not that serious way for making people think about it in their own way is something that I want to make making this poster.
The conclusion
At the moment I am not sure what specifically I want to show in my poster. I have some initial ideas but that is all. I made some sketches of how I want to my poster looks like but I have to think about it a little bit more about what exactly I want to archive.
References:
James Brown (1966) This is a man's world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H77fRz1rybs [21.05.2021]
Deadly Tarot Mini Poster - The Devil 32x44cm https://www.popartuk.com/art/the-devil-xe364-mini-poster.asp [21.05.2021]
Deadly Tarot Mini Poster - The Magician 32x44cm https://www.popartuk.com/art/popart-originals/the-magician-xe377-mini-poster.asp
Robert Eggens (2016) The Witch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witch_(2015_film)#/media/File:The_Witch_poster.png [21.05.2021]
Zachariah Wheeler poster for Robert Eggens (2016) The Witch https://alternativemovieposters.com/amp/the-witch-by-zachariah-wheeler/ [21.05.2021]
Holmes (2017) Buckout Road https://www.shockya.com/news/2017/10/02/buckout-road-horror-films-new-trailer/ [21.05.2021]
Sam Deats (2017) Lisa burning at the stake scene Castelavia https://castlevania.fandom.com/pt-br/wiki/Lisa_(s%C3%A9rie_animada)?file=Morte_de_Lisa_na_fogueira%252C_na_s%25C3%25A9rie_animada.jpg [21.05.2021]
Bonanno (2009) The Yes men fix the world http://www.impawards.com/2009/yes_men_fix_the_world_xlg.html [21.05.2021]
Adrian () Are you man enough? https://dadoralive.com/2012/05/are-you-man-enough/ [21.05.2021]










Good post, with some very contextual links to the project. Although you are unsure about how you might use this research, there is time for this to make more sense as you go along with your work.
ReplyDelete