Set Project - Magic Potion part 1

 As the deadline of the Set Project day by day is getting shorter and shorter that's why I have to finish my drawings as fast as I can. Today I decided to make one of my work which is a storyboard that present witches creating a magic potion. I decided to make it in mixed media - half digitally and half is drawn by hand. I was thinking about making part of it in colour and another in black and white. I have to think more about it if it would better look in colours, using watercolour paint as the main tool for colourizing it. 

Today's part was made in Photoshop software. I tried my best to present the atmosphere of these three images the best I can. 

Firstly I upload the sketches to Photoshop and then started to make outlines for it.


Then I fulfiled it with a base colour, below can be seen the colour palette that I created from which most of the colours was used.


Nextly I started to make shadows for my characters and also colourize the eyes on the black colour for making the witches scarier. Making hair was the next thing that I do. 


Another thing that I focused on next was creating reflected light from the cauldron that can be seen on the witches faces and their clothes. 


Second, the last thing that I draw were bubbles that are floating in the air between the characters. 


The last part was to add smoke rising from the cauldron.


I think I archived my aim that was to make the characters ugly, wrinkled and with unnatural shapes, laughing with an almost toothless mouth that is just the quintessence of being a witch from the movies or literature that capture children and eat them. In the cauldron can be seen sticking out a small leg that was a reference to it. 

Another drawing that I made today is a younger version of the above with a bigger frame where can be seen whole body of the characters.

Firstly I started with making outlines and adding base colours the same as were used in the previous drawing.



Nextly I added shadows to my work and draw hair and also ribbons on the hats. Then I focused on adding the green light on the characters. 



The last thing that I made was adding smoke rising from the cauldron.


This part is different from others because this is the only work where witches are presented as young and beautiful. In this illustration, I wanted to show them as they could look like after drinking this potion. I did not want to put it at the end of the storyboard because I thought that in the middle it would be better. 

I wanted to show the viewer the smoke inpact on the witches, something like an illusion that shows to the audience, what will happen after they will drink the mixture.

 The third work that I made today is the last part of my storyboard where can be seen mostly, witches laughing faces emerging from darkness. 

Like in two previous works I started by making outlines, adding base colours and shadows. 




Then I focused more on the cauldron and the light that impact the characters placed around it.



At the end, I added the smoke that floated from the cauldron and bubbles that were drawn also in the first drawing. 



This work is pretty similar to the first one that I made but I tried to make it in a little bit different style - faces more round the same as the noses and closed eyes like in the second drawing. They are still laughing this will be in every of my work but all storyboard is made in a little bit different styles with lots of differences but also similarities to make coherent with other works. 

Here is the final effect placed together


To be honest I did not expect that the final outcome would look that nice. I am not good with digital drawing because I am still learning to use Photoshop. That's why when we have some task I try to use this software as often as I can to become better because it will help me a lot in the future. 




Comments

  1. You've done this really well start thinking about how you will present this on your portfolio in terms of how you can construct a narrative around your images.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts