Set Project - Fantastic five

 Today we were talking about our Set Project first thoughts. We have to generate ideas for the topics which seems to us the most suitable or interesting. 

Here are the three topics from which we have to choose our main theme for Set Project:

Primitivism - enjoy a ride into the past

Oriental Supriece - explore the art of the Orient both traditional and contemporary 

Ultimate Black - create your pieces using the colour of the night

I have ideas for every topic from which I am going to choose later

Oriental Suprise 

When I first thought about this topic all I could see were geishas, gorgeous patterns, Hokusai and manga which I absolutely adore. I tried to think a little bit outside the box and after small brainstorming when I was thinking about Japan because this is a place and culture which I am more familiar with than China. 


I have learnt Japanese some time ago but I have to stop and focus more on study but I am going to still learn in the future because Japan is one of the places I want to work (it will be like a dream come true). I do love Japanese comics - mangas and anime which authors I admire. Streets - full of high buildings, small spaces, beautiful temples and sakura.  A culture so different from ours full of hardworking people with great ideas this is what I very like. 

When I think about China all I can see are novels that I read and love and temples that are just gorgeous. I am not familiar with this country because I have never been interested in this place till four months ago, where I first read the  Chinese author book. I completely fall in love with this writing style these described sceneries and characters. This is some kind of addiction for me right now, even if these works have an incredible amount of pages (the last one which I read has 2657 pages which is a lot and 258 chapters) every page is not dull and predictable this is what I love in this novels.

I was thinking about creating maybe doing scenes from geishas life in Hokusai style or maybe illustrated legend from China or Japan which will be presented as some kind of story (kind of storyboard?). Next idea was to create a background for the animation using old Chinese villages image from novels. 

Primitivism 

I am aware that I could use this topic in different ways but thinking about this topic all I could see were a cave Lascaux and a movie The Croods and a little bit older cartoon The Flintstones where were presented in a comedian version of people living thousands of years ago. That's why this is what I focused on during my ideas generation.


I am not familiar with this topic because I have never created anything in that kind of thematic but I tried my best during this little brainstorm. I tried to create a character inspired by characters from The Flintstones and it did not look as bad as I thought it would be. Nextly I draw some sketches of animals and people inspired by cave Lascaux that look just ridiculous but still, I love them I do not know why. To be honest it was a little bit challenging because I have never draw anything with that simple forms but it was fun. 

As a Set Project from this topic, I thought about maybe present some scenes in that style (character and bull) and create some kind of story from it. 

As another idea, I was thinking about using old beliefs from my region or old festivals that do not exist anymore and present them as illustrated posters.


Ultimate Black

This topic seems to be the clearest for me because I always like to use black in my art and this colour reminds me of witches, rituals such as necro mage, making dead people alive and full moon. Every of this topic I do love because I am a big fan of horror movies even if nobody can see it looking at me. 


As for this topic, I wanted to create posters that will look like posters for animation or movie with these ideas which will have that mysterious a little bit scary vibe I am not sure how it will look like because I am not good in doing scary things but I will try my best. 




Comments

  1. Thoughtful post with some really strong ideas and influences stated. Follow up in later posts when you have a better idea of what you want to achieve and think about the purpose of your project and what it is for - Target market/message. Of the three themes, the ideas for Oriental Surprise and Ultimete Black seem to be the strongest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts