Art Portfolio - Paul Gauguin
As I have to create a burst sculpture I have to make some artist research. Artist whose works I was looking at is Eugéne Henri Paul Gauguin more known as Paul Gauguin - a France Post-impressionist who is more famous for his Tahiti paintings than sculptures. I also just learn this information about him, before it, I have no idea that Paul also created sculptures. He was born at the end of the '40s 19th (1848) live 55 years and die at the beginning of the 20th (1903).
Paul Gauguin has parents from different cultures and countries - his father was from France where was a journalist in Le National magazine and his mother comes from Tahiti Peru. Eugéne childhood was happy, his early years he spends in a few different houses - granduncle was served him, servants and nursemaids, later he lives with his grandfather in New Orlean.
Living in Peru has a lot of impact on Paul "indelible impressions of Peru has hunted me for the rest of my life". These words for sure were true because Tahiti scenery with presenting people there is the most recognized and common theme in his works. A big influence on his works has also Manet, Monet, Renoir, Pissaro and what is surprising also Vincent van Gogh (using brighter colours especially yellow, thicker brush and started painting from memory). On the other hand, Paul Gauguin's works have a big impact on Modern Art because of his bold and colourful oriental works. It can be said that his style helped develop lots of artists develop their own in the 20th such as Paolo Picasso (Cubism), Henri Matisse (Fauvism) or George Baque.
Paul Gauguin's sculptures are really unique, made in various materials but mostly they were made in bronze. Looking at these works we can not see what tools were he used to create these sculptures. Tahiti girl was the inspiration for my work which was burst, I tried to archive the same effect - make bigged head and smaller body in my case rather burst but it does not work well. The head was too heavy compared to the smaller part of the body which was a shoulder.
Gauguin (1896) Tahitian girl
Looking at Gauguin's work we can see how big talent he has. Observing the scenery and people for later creating works based on what he saw which looks incredibly realistic. I tried to do the opposite in my sculpture I wanted to make it as much as me as I can but at the same time, I wanted to create it in cartoonish style maybe that's why it ended up not looking like me at all. More like a character from the Coralina movie but I tried my best so even if it does not look like me I am proud of this work.
References:
Douglas Cooper (2020) Paul Gauguin (Online) https://www.britannica.com/biography/Paul-Gauguin [13.04.2021]
The Art Story (-) Paul Gauguin - Biography and Legacy (Online) https://www.theartstory.org/artist/gauguin-paul/life-and-legacy/ [13.04.2021]
Encyclopedia of World Biography (-) Paul Gauguin Biography (Online) https://www.notablebiographies.com/Fi-Gi/Gauguin-Paul.html [13.04.2021]
The Van Gogh Gallery (-) Artist Influence Paul Gauguin (Online) https://www.vangoghgallery.com/influences/ [13.04.2021]
Pablo Picasso (-) Gauguin's influence on Picasso (Online) https://www.pablopicasso.org/picasso-and-gauguin.jsp [13.04.2021]
Artble (-) Paul Gauguin (Online) https://www.artble.com/artists/paul_gauguin [13.04.2021]
Paul Gauguin (1891) Tahitian women on the beach http://najpiekniejszeobrazyswata.blogspot.com/2019/02/thaitanskie-kobiety-na-plazy.html [13.04.2021]
Paul Gauguin (1896) Tahitian girl wood and mixed media, 94.9 x 19.1 x 20.3 cm https://www.nashersculpturecenter.org/art/exhibitions/object/id/3112-482 [13.04.2021]




Some strong research here, you detailed some insights and connections to your own piece well. If you choose primitivism as your project theme think about how you might use this research as the basis for that theme.
ReplyDelete