Art Portfolio - "I hate art"
As our next lesson will be a discussion about an artist, work or direction in art which we do not like.
As for me there are some artist's works which I really dislike and I have no idea why these paintings were sold by that incredible big cost. When I look at these works I start to think that I may not understand the art at all. I am aware that there exist different people and that people have different preferences but sometimes I do not understand why something is so popular.
I completely do not understand abstractionism because for me there are just stains put in random places for example Jackson Pollock's works. For me are just kids painting. They put random lines in random places and give some story to it but the viewer has no idea what is going on. That I feel every time when I see Jackson's works. I am aware that he wanted to show emotion and maybe experiences in his work but I completely can not understand it, I can not see it at all. For me, these works are just random lines and I can not do anything to change it.
Another work that I do not like and do not understand is just a black square on the white background - Black Square painted by Kazimierz Malewicz. This painting was sold by 60 mln dolars. I mean it can has some kind of deep meaning but I for me it is still black square on the white background and I can not find any deep message in it.
Next painting which I do not like is another Kazimierz Malewicz painting which is just red square on the white background... and that's it. This is all the painting. I think some people only care about surename on it, it does not matter what it is as long as there is some popular artist name on it. But this is only my personal opinion.
Another artist's works that I do not like are Henri Matisse works. I do not particularly like his style where colours are reached straight from the tube and placed on the canvas. The only thing which I like about it is playing with temperature contrast in his works like in The pink nude from 1935. These colours located close to each other are affecting each other have a really interesting look. But I do not like realization because proportion and perspective are not correct plus colours that are too bright for my taste make it worse.
Matisse (1910) Dance
Based on Matisse works I like much more his cutouts which are more interesting for me because of using a more simple form and lighter colours.
Resources:
Kazimierz Malewicz (1915) Black Square 80x 80 oil on canvas cm https://www.laminerva.pl/2016/04/zrozumiec-sztuke-o-co-chodzi-w-czarnym.html [13.04.2021]
Jackson Pollock (1952) Blue Poles enamel and aluminium paint with glass on canvas, 212.1x 488.9 cm https://theconversation.com/heres-looking-at-blue-poles-by-jackson-pollock-51655 National Gallery of Austraila, Canberra [13.04.2021]
Kazimierz Malewicz (1915) Red Square oil on canvas, 53x53 cm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Square_(painting)#/media/File:Red_Square._Visual_Realism_of_a_Peasant_Woman_in_Two_Dimensions.jpg Russian Museum, St Petersburg [13.04.2021]
Henri Matisse (1910) Dance oil on canvas, 260x391cm https://artreview.com/henri-matisse-love-origin-creation-1954-archive-looking-life-eyes-child/ The Hermitage, St Petersburg [13.04.2021]
Henri Matisse (1951) Snow Flowers watercolour and gouache on cut and pastel papers, 174x80.6 cm https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/490000 New York [13.04.2021]







Excellent post here, some really good research and valid reasons for not liking the work of these artists. With Pollock you say you wonder why his work is so expensive and popular. The art world is a place that relies on reputation - when Pollock was working he was helped by an influential New York Art Critic called Clement Greenberg. Greenberg's validation of Pollocks work meant his work sold for thousands of dollars, was bought by museums and has remained in the public eye ever since. He was also representative of a new 'masculine' approach to painting in the US in the 1950's and the growing international art world in the US - he was a kind of 'poster boy' for the Abstract Expressionist movement.
ReplyDelete