Art Portfolio - "Ice breaker"

 During today's lesson, we have to create work that is first in this term which is making our portrait in 3D.  I decided to use clay for doing this task because it is the most convenient to use for me. Even if I can not exploit the whole potential from this material because of not the best my fingers cooperate with sculpture tools my works show things that I want to present and I am proud of it

Formating various shapes are easier thanks to clay's softness which is the biggest advantage of this material. Making sculpture smooth without any indentations or tools marks is really difficult for me maybe that's why artists do not do their work without any marks on it. These leaving marks give works more unique character and thanks to it viewer can see what tools were used by an artist. 

My burst is small it has around 8 cm in height and 9 cm in width so creating it with tools marks will prevent viewers to see how my sculpture looks like. Who is it and what should it represent. 

As my inspiration for creating my clay burst are Pablo Picasso (cubism) and Constantin Brancusi (abstractionism)  it was pretty difficult to create something inspired by these two artists.

Firstly I do some sketches that will help me with creating my burst. To draw it tried to combine these two artist styles and make my portrait from them. Designing it was pretty fun I tried to give something from myself to it and combine it with these two artists and I think it ends up pretty well. 

 
Next step was creating a sculpture 

Firstly I started by forming the face using some plastic tools that helped me make my head


When I made it I started to add some clay belts which has to imitate hair.

I tried to make them as much curly as I can because my hair is full of curls but even if it ended up not like I wanted, what is unexpected it looks pretty nice


Next step was focusing on making details on the face, during making it I added some clay belts to the part where were hair 

Here are photos of my burst from various point of view





I think this sculpture looks more like Coraline from the movie on the same title or the witch from this cartoon than me. And to be honest I can say that from a different point of view I am very similar to the title character from Coraline because of the personality and haircut.

 When I was little I often have that kind of hairstyle but much more bent on the different pages. I always went on adventures to the forest with my brother and climb on the tree, running where our legs would guide us, I really loved it.  I was kind of a tomboy just like Coraline but I liked dresses compared to her. The nose is also similar to mine which is snub like in the burst which I create. 


Even if there are some different things compared to my real appearance there are some things similar and I really like the final effect.  Because I know that I tried my best forming it.  

Here is final effect which is painted burst











References:

Roger Ebert (2009)  A beautiful film about several nasty people (Online) https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/coraline-2009 [07.04.2021]

Comments

  1. Looking forward to seeing how you finish this - are you thinking of painting it? I think you should go the whole way and make yourself look like someone else - you could say it is how you see yourself or how others see you. Maybe compare that to the character in Coraline as well? The more depth you give us, the better your posts will be. Good process here, some interesting reflective thoughts on what you did at the beginning of this task.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts