Set Project - Jan Brzechwa
John Wiktor Lesman was more known by his nickname - John Brzechwa, he is a Polish lawyer and author of poetry and fairytales for children with greats punch line. One of my favourites is Akademkia Pana Kleksa (Academy of Mr Kleks) which was made into a movie on the same title. This story is about Adam who for the first time go to the title Academy he is learning there with 23 other boys - all of their names started on the A. In this school children are not teach about school stuff, like mathematic or geography they learned how to develop their imagination by doing large blots on the paper and after folded them in half they read stories from the resulting pictures.
Pchła Szachrajka (The Cheating flea) is another example of Brzechwa's work about a flea who is a fraud and a trickster and after lots of her "incidents" under the threat of imprisonment she promises honest life.
Brzechwa is also known less for his satyric texts for adults, which was written in a little bit different style - very graphic and a little bit vulgar.
Here is an example of one of John's poem which is one of my favourites and is called Bragetty - Ann
Bragetty-Ann
Braggety - Ann in the corner stood,
Praising herself, as only she could
I have talent in excess,
Just look how beautifully I dress,
My face is radiant with health,
When I answer, I'm no fool,
I get the highest marks in school,
I out-sing any opera star,
And ride a bike so very far,
I am good at catching flies,
And I know where the Wisla lies,
I'm wise, petite and graceful too.
And sweet and charming through and through,
I give my word because it's true,
My family is the greatest, too
My dad can reach the stovepipe tall,
My mama is a buyer-ball,
My sister is so very small,
I'm Bragetty-Ann, the best of all!!
John Brzechwa is an inspiration for my Set Project his works are something that I admire since I was a child. As for my project which includes animals I am going to use Brzechwa's work where were described my chosen characters.
A monkey which is described in the poem on the same name was an inspiration for creating an illustration with my older sister - Daria. The poem describes a playful monkey who does love make pranks, that's how I wanted to show my sister full of life and malice. In my opinion, I archive this goal.
Monkey
Monkeys jump unequally,
Monkeys play monkey pranks,
Look at the baboon
What a monkey, sir!
The next poem which was an inspiration for one of my work is Magic Dog. This character was base on one of my Set Project illustration which has to present my little sister - Amelia personality.
This story is about a dog who was widely gifted. He can play the piano and ping pong and walk on the tightrope but his master was not happy about all of it because the dog does not know how to bark - this is all that is expected from this pet. During reading this poem that the doggy wanted just to be noticed by his master that what I wanted to show in my work.
Birds behaviour in Bird rumours is another inspiration for my illustration. As my mum is a pretty chatterbox I wanted to show her as a parrot which in my opinion is one of the most talkative animals I have ever seen. This poem is a great base for creating my character.
The sloth is the title of my other Set Project's work, as for this illustration I wanted to show my older brother character which is being incredibly lazy like the main character in my inspiration poem The Sloth. This is a story about a terribly lazy person who does nothing all days, to be honest, it perfectly describes my brother daily routine. That's why I thought this Brzechwa's poem will be a perfect base for this work.
Peacock is the title name of inspiration for my work. I wanted to use this animal for showing my little brother - Krzysztof he is elegance, cuteness and beauty. His face always has that kind of sad vibe even if he is smiling. This is all I wanted to show these melancholic look in my drawn animal eyes and I focus on feathers to make it the prettiest as I can. I think I archive the goals for which I aimed in this illustration.
As for me, the Cat is something that describes my personality the best. I am honest, lazy and always go through my own ways and always help if I can. The most suitable poem for describing my character is Puss in Boots. This poem is about a cat who was given to boy an inheritance after his father died who was trow away from home after this accident by his own brother. The boy - Janek thank's the cat efforts he has a better life.
References:
Kinga Młynarska (2015) A few words about Brzechwa (Online) http://szuflada.net/o-brzechwie-slow-kilka/ [01.03.2021]
Polishbilinguary (2018) Jan Brzechwa for Polish Bilingual day (Online) http://www.polishbilingualday.com/language/pl/wiersze-jana-brzechwy-w-wersji-dwujezycznej/ [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Magic Dog (Online) http://wiersze.kobieta.pl/wiersz/jan-brzechwa/czarodziejski-pies-154 [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Monkey (Online) http://www.interklasa.pl/portal/dokumenty/kolorowe_strony/d53.htm [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Magic Dog (Online) http://wiersze.kobieta.pl/wiersz/jan-brzechwa/czarodziejski-pies-154 [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Bird rumors (Online) http://wiersze.juniora.pl/brzechwa/brzechwa_p12.html [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa The Sloth (Online) https://polandsite.proboards.com/thread/1724/jan-brzechwa-fav-poet-kids?page=1 [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Peacock (Online) http://wiersze.kobieta.pl/wiersze/paw-386458 [01.03.2021]
Jan Brzechwa Puss in Boots (Online) https://dzidziusiowo.pl/dla-dzieci/bajki-i-wierszyki/bajki/159-kot-w-butach-jan-brzechwa [01.03.2021]



Comments
Post a Comment