Set Project - creating drawings part 1

 Today I finished my first character to Set Project. During creating it I was inspired by one of the best Polish author for children literature - Jan Brzechwa. The poem which I choose is about an animal on the same name like title "Monkey". The story is about monkey behaviour and their love for fun. 

The first character I made using software Photoshop. Firstly I tried to find the best suitable colour palette using adobe colour but it was not as easy as I thought because I wanted to use colours which I could not generate and put on the same palette on this website so I have to improvise with colours thy them in the middle doing work.
I upload a photo of my sketch and I begin with an outline and later added colours. To be honest the hardest thing to draw was a bunch of bananas because I did not know to create them, how they really look in that kind of placement. Thankfully magazines from shops helped me a lot with it. 


Adding shadows and making fur imitation which was easier to do than I thought. For creating it I used a special brush which is called Hard Round Pressure Size. Thank's to using it I can make fur and leaves which have soft tips. 


Adding background I was not sure what should I add there because it may be too heavy for the foreground because of it my monkey will not be visible well. I made little research which plants grow in the jungle Googe really helped me. After looking at them I decided to add some leaves on the background and make fun with them - decorate, putting some pattern on it.


The background looks too empty for me that's why I decided to add some barks of the tree which suit there really well. 



In the end, I added gold frame as in Alphonse Mucha works. I tried to inspire by this artist using soft lines and black outlines but I am not too good yet for making it as wonderful as him and I have to draw a lot because my outlines are shaking even if I could not show perfectly Mucha's style in my work I tried to put my admiration to his art in my drawings just by trying.
Here is the final effect



I think the first one with frame outline looks much better than with this one fulfilled because it looks much lighter and maybe a little bit like some kind photo of monkey which was caught on stealing the bananas. 
Looking at it let me knows how much work is above me in digital drawings and what skills should I still developing. 



References:

Jan Brzechwa (1926) Monkey (Online) http://www.interklasa.pl/portal/dokumenty/kolorowe_strony/d53.htm (07.02.2021)





Comments

  1. This is interesting but you should show your process in terms of what tools you used in Photoshop as you created this - take screenshots of your screen as you are working alongside the different stages as you have shown here. Also show the magazine images that were an inspiration for this and include the poem this was based on - although this is confusing to me - I wasn't aware you were using a poem for this project as I thought you said you were developing a story outline for the characters in this project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts