Art Portfolio - Creating drawing based on text

 Last week during Art Portfolio classes we made some drawing based on the text below

You can see a face it is a mans face, grizzly and marked, his mouth is but a black slit and his hair a nest of dirty matted strands, his eyes are emerald green, piercing and shining, looking right at you, seeing into you…’

When I first read this text I saw a pirate face in my mind. The best describing of this text for me is a character from the movie Pirates of the Caribbean he is called Capitan Barbossa's (Hector Barbossa). He has a long messy beard and hair, a weather-beaten face, and a smirk which I just do love. It makes his face look more arrogant and happy. He always has that kind of smile when he is going to kill someone without hesitation and care. Capitan Barbossa is one of my favourite characters in the Pirates of the Caribbean movie series after Capitan Jack Sparrow. 


Barbossa aiming with the pistol at Jack Sparrow


Barbossa against the top of the skeleton mountain


 Hector Barbossa 

During creating a portrait of the men from the text Barbossa was the main inspiration for it because of outlook which suit incredibly great for this description. 

The second inspiration for my work was the character from the Lord of the Rings movie - Gimli who is a dwarf. He has a really long and thick ginger beard, an overworked face and even if he does not have a nice attitude he is great because he always speaks his mind, tells brilliant stories and he is his own man in every this sentence meaning.



All of my works were made using a pen (thinner lines) and black marker (shadows and bolder lines) almost everything was drawn in black and white colours except eyes which were made using light green colour - watercolour paint. 

Here are photos of my work:


I do not like the first one it does not look exactly how I wanted. The beard looks weird seems like flower petals with some kind of linear pattern. The right side of the nose is too small compared to the left side. But I like these bush eyebrows and hair they really like nice and exactly how I wanted them to look. 


The second drawing looks almost like Gimli portrait, angrier, darker and more black but still seems like this dwarf. The beard looks much better than in the first one work. It is less messy I tried to do it drawing stand of hair to stand of hair and add lines to it in some kind of pattern thanks to it drawing looks nicer and more interesting. To giving that kind of dark vibe to this portrait I made big dark circles under the eyes and added some wart and black dots on his nose which reminds me a little bit about bad witches noses from fairytales which I read as a kid.

My group's work was used for creating a short gif which can be seen below


Combination of colleagues drawing look incredible good, all of it has that kind of darky vibe. What is a surprise these inserts are adding more character to this work, constantly shifting from dark to light with the insert of green eyes catch the viewer attention.  The gorilla, which can be seen in the end, makes me confused when I first saw it because I  do not know what was going on there but it suits unbelievably well. Especially these change of image rotation and approximation to details such as mouth or eyes, 

References:

Disney Pictures & Jerry Bruckheimer (2003) Pirates of  The Caiaibian: The Course of Black Pearl https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1666180/a-monkey-vomited-during-pirates-of-the-caribbean-peta-isnt-happy [22.02.2021]

Disney Pictures & Jerry Bruckheimer (2003) Pirates of  The Caiaibian: The Course of Black Pearl https://hobbitxoverff.fandom.com/wiki/Hector_Barbossa [22.02.2021]

Disney Pictures & Jerry Bruckheimer (2003) Pirates of  The Caiaibian: The Course of Black Pearl https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/314337248988031959/ [22.02.2021]

Peter Jackson (2001)  Lord of the Rings https://lotr.fandom.com/pl/wiki/Gimli [22.02.2021]

Comments

Popular Posts