Set Project - First thoughts

During today's lessons, we have to think about which one of the tree topic we will choose for our Set Project. 

There are topics:

  1. Purple Haze.  Use the colour purple as your theme, consider what it represents and how it can be incorporated into your art or design project. 

  2. Earthly Delights.  Interpret this title as you please to represent, incorporate or express the nature of earthly delights in your art and design project. 

  3. Expressionism. Look deeply into expressionism and incorporate this style into your art and design project.


Taking into consideration our next year course which is Animation helped me realize what I want to do as a Set Project, creating 5 or 6 cartoon characters. But I am not sure how yet.

I was thinking about making work in Expressionism style and incorporate it into my art and design project. I admire these artists such as Edward Munch, Wassily Kandinsky or Gregore Grosz, they do the works using this technique, putting their emotion in it I believe it is amazing. To be honest I am not good at doing it. 
Every time when I tried to do something fast, create using my emotion it just does not work. I am not sure why maybe that's why I am to calm for it? Or probably I am not used to it.  I really do not know. 


Munch (1893) The Scream, Oslo


Grosz (1916) Suicide

Next topic which one I took into consideration is Earthly Delights, and to be honest this theme is more suitable for me. It is wonderful because pleasure is something different for everybody. For some of them may it be eating chocolate for other drinking a beer twice a week and for others may it be sleeping or bodily sensations. The best example of using this topic is Hieronim Bosch in his art such as The Garden of Earthly Delights (triptych) or Hay Wagon.


Bosch (1503-15) The Garden of Earthly Delights, Prado

During creating something I do not have to focus on the realistic side with which one I am not good at. I can create whatever I please and do not be tired of doing which one is not my site. I enjoy giving simple things a second life. For example, making the main character in my art a cat or mushroom.
This is what I want to do as a Set Project. Create a 5 or 6 character using mushrooms or cats. I will have great fun during doing it.


References:

Edward Munch (1893) The Scream National Gallery, Oslo edwardmunch.org 

George Grosz (1916) Suicide tate.org.uk

Hieronim Bosch (1503-15) The Garden of Earthly Delights Museum del Prado museodelprado.org






Comments

  1. Your ideas regarding expressionism are interesting, although you say you are not sure how you are going to do it - part of the point of this project is to experiment and try out different approaches and materials to achieve your vision and idea. Think about the activities and materials you are going to need to complete a project on either one of the themes you have identified above.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts