Art Portfolio - Creating drawing Inspired by Odilon Redon

 During Art Portfolio lessons me with classmates looked at Odilon Redon art and now we have to create our own illustration inspired by this artist work.

I want to create something mysterious maybe with a little bit dark vibe illustration like Eye ballon Odilon's from 1898. This drawing gives me little terrified vibes when I am looking at this ballon it makes me feel that I have to be ready for something. The moment when the eye will look at me will be the last thing which I will see before I die or something. 

Especially that the place where should be basket there is a skull and the whole ballon looks like it is going to land on the abandoned place. This image is just great it looks like some kind of poster for a horror movie which I love. Another good thing is that everybody can interpret it in the other way which is great. 
 

Redon, Eye ballon (1898)
Redon, Etrustian vase with flowers (1910) New York

My first thought when I looked at this painting it reminds me of dried flowers which were left in the granite vase on the abandoned grave. I do not know why maybe just the colours make me feel like that. I once made an illustration with that kind of dark, mysterious and a little bit scary vibe when I was inspired by Zdzisław Beksiński whose is a Polish artist 20th with unique ideas and style. He is called "Master of dark imagination" which really suit for his art.


Beksiński Catedral (1983)


Beksiński, Lovers (1984)

Here is the final effect of my inspiration by Odilon Redon's work:



This drawing was made with a black marker, white pen and red paint I know these tools are not utilized in his works but I think that these things suit much better than for example charcoal.  Because it will not give such a character as hard tools such as marker. Blurred part in my opinion would not look good in this.
When I was thinking about how can I connect Etrustian vase with flowers with Eye ballon for creating my own illustration. The motives which I wanted to use were flowers and eye which was included in Odilon's works which I was inspired by. After using a little bit of imagination I started to create this work. In the end, I added some pattern to flowers because without it, it looks empty and dull later I decided to draw eyeballs at the bottom of the paper to fill the empty place. 
This was the only one things which match under a skeleton with an umbrella in a basket with a ribbon which looks like a present or some kind of Halloween drink. To be honest I put a lot of objects accidentally because I was curious how something will it looks like when I add it there and draw something there. It was a great exercise and I have a lot of fun.


References:

Redon, Etrustian vase with flowers (1910) Metropolitan Museum of Arts, New York  artsandculture.google.com 17.01.2021

Redon, Eye ballon (1898) pictorem.com 17.01.2021

Beksiński, Lovers (1984) oil painting prabook.com 17.01.2021

Beksiński Catedral (1983) oil painting wavepressblog.files.wordpress.com 17.01.2021









Comments

  1. Good set of notes, with some interesting links made to Zdzisław Beksiński's work. Perhaps you could have talked a bit more about the relationship between his work and Redon's, but on the whole this was okay. You talked well about the work you made in response to Redon's work too. Would have been good to have heard more of your opinion of Redon's work that you saw in the lecture and more about the themes of his work and how you reacted to them or even how they might help in your work for this project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts