Set Project - artist research

 During today's Art Portfolio lesson we have to make a little research on which artist we will be inspired by creating our Set Project. As my project, I chose Expressionism that's why I started to look at artist which create art in this technique and then search more about the artist which art I want to be inspired by during creating my Set Project.

The first artist which I was looking at is Franz Marc he is an artist who lived at the end of 19th and early 20th (1880-1916). A German painter and one of the funders group artist-expressionist "Blue Rider" (Der Blaue Rainer). His art is known for using ultramarine paint and geometrisation characters. 
I chose this artist because of animals motive in his work. I wanted to know better ways how would I use for creating my six characters. Some of his art was made by using geometric figures such as triangles or rectangles.   


Marc, Foxes (1913) oil on canvas



Marc, The Tower of the Blue Horses (1913)

The next person with whose I was looking at is an Instagram artist who is called feefal.  She using paint, ink and pens sometimes do them digitally and all of them are beautiful.  This is the level of details and ingenuity I want to archive in the future. I am amazed by this artist because of creating character design from simple things as flowers or mushrooms which describe their own story this is something that I want to archive-creating my work. . All of her work has incredibly lots of details and are just adorable and shows how big talent the author has. 





The third artist which I was looking at is Alfons Mucha which is a Czech painter and graphic living during the end of 19th till the years 40's of 20th. One of the best representatives of Art Noveau fin de siecle'u. Soft colours and wavy lines in his art are his trademarks and my favourite part of his works. This is how I will draw and colour my characters. 


Mucha, The four seasons (1900)


Mucha, Job (1880)


Mucha, (1894)

During doing this research I was thinking about making my Set Project inspired by the style of these artists for finding the way that will be the best for me in the future. That's why all of my characters will be in different styles but I have considered this idea because I am not sure if I really want to do it. 

References:
Marc, The Tower of the Blue Horses (1913) hausamwaldsee.de 19.01.2021

Marc, Foxes (1913) oil on canvas artyfactory.com 19.01.2021

Feefal instagram.com 19.01.2021

Mucha, (1894) magazine.xerjoff.com 19.01.2021

Mucha, The four seasons (1900) jaywaytravel.com 19.01.2021

Mucha, Job (1880) alphonsemucha.org 19.01.2021









Comments

  1. Alfons Mucha is an interesting research element - i think using his work as the basis for your character design would work really well. Perhaps you could make your characters more fantasy based or you could design a series of characters for a story that is based on Polish Folklore but updated to present day - so designed with modern dress but made in a similar way to Mucha?

    Have a look at Polish Expressionism or Formism as it is now known - have a look at this link: https://culture.pl/ and artists such as Władysław Skotarek and Stefan Szmaj. Also, Marc Chagall who used folk stories as the basis of his painting (although he was Russian). These might give you a visual idea for ways in which you could tell Polish Folkstories with a family as a way of binding the six characters together. You could present each character in a similar way to Muchas but use expressionist techniques in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to look at Chagall's work: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/the-elusive-marc-chagall-95114921/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts