Art Portfolio - After break
Welcome to my blog after a short break. I will be using this blog for Art Portfolio which is a new module this term.
During this period of time, I want to develop my research and my drawing skills, especially character design - facial expressions, which are really important in the industry which one I want to work in the future.
During Christmas break, I wanted to know more about things which one I am interested in which is Animation. I read some books and thank's to it I liked more DreamWorks studio.
In the beginning, I want to start with Anthony "Tony" Siruno which is Character Design and Visual Development Artist at Sony Pictures Animation. Here is one of his 12 works which one he created during work at DreamWorks Studio - "The Road to El Dorado"
This is a story about two con artist which one got a map to El Dorado escape from Spain they sail to the city of gold where the natives mistake them for god.
Anthony "Tony" Siruno (1992)Tulio and Miguel
Siruno has this level in drawings - perspective and facial expressions which I want to archive. Drawings people from a different point of view is the hardest thing for me. I do not have that big problem when I am drawing buildings or still life but drawing people is my Achilles heel which hopes I overcome someday.
Next person which one I found out about during this break is Hokusai. This man was Japanese artist which even if lived decades ago (Endo period) has an incredible influence on art nowadays. In his art, he focused on everyday life people, drow fisherman during their work, home life and lots of different things though soft brush lines and using bold perspective shortcuts he created a masterpiece which impresses until now. One of my favourite works are caricatures and a lot of fantastic creatures such as spirits, ghost or gods.
Here are his caricature drawings which one shows imperfections in every person from a different perspective I believe that this is incredible. He focuses on impact wrinkles during doing some exercise for example speaking or laughing.
Hokusai (1817) Faces
Katsushika Hokusai is the most known by the last one work "The Great Wave" which shown the sea during a storm. It can be said that the water is his soul or heart because of adversity which one he has to overcome during this time.
Hokusai (1831) The Great Wave
References:
Writing about futility (2020) Visual Influences: manga, comics, Ukiyo-e, Art bounthavy.com accessed 11.01.2021
Sabine Schulze, Nora von Achenbach & Simon Klingler (2017) Hokusai X Manga: Japanese Pop culture Since 1680 Hirmer
Character Design References (2017) Art of the Road to El Dorado characterdesignreferences.com 11.01.2021
Ramin Zahmed (2014) The Art of DreamWorks Animation p.32-41 Abrams, New York
Laura Cumming (2017) Hokusai: Beyond the Great Wave review - the mastery simply amazes theguardian.com 12.01.2021
Hokusai (1808-27) "Seven Gods of Good Fortune" metmuseum.org








Good first post, Klaudia. Interesting link between Siruno and Hokusai, drawing a comparison between artists working in a very different way, with very different outcomes, in very different eras. There is a lot to be said about these links, it might be worth adding a paragraph about the links you could make, both visually and in terms of the different time periods they are working in. Remember to add a click through link underneath your images that takes us to your source material.
ReplyDelete