Animation research - Frankenstein
After starting making an animation for my major project I have to make some research to know how to create my story and characters, especially Frankenstein.
The first animation which I am inspired is an animation movie "Monster of Frankenstein" which was made in 1981 by Toei Animation Studio.
During watching this movie we can see the whole story from the beginning - how the Frankenstein was "born".
Here is a doctor with his assistant before "surgery"
How was his life - he makes friends feed the animals
He was not a bad "person". Because of his scary outlooks people from the village where he "lives" were afraid of him and they want to get rid of him even if he does not do anything bad to them.
In the end, Frankenstein gets to shoot by the person who created him and fall off from the cliff.
The family who was his friends made for him a grave
I learn from this story a lot, how to create something what at first glance not looks the same as we thought it would be. For example, Frankenstein which was gentle, helpful character but because of his appearance, people were afraid of him. I would like to create that kind of story with a similar plot but I do not have enough time to end up it as I want to. So I have to focus on the main plot which is creating Frankenstein. Hope it will be as fascinating for viewers as "Monster of Frankenstein" animation.
Next animation which I am inspired of is "Victor" authors Lily Vogel. This story is completely opposite than "Monster of Frankenstein". Firstly almost all is showed in two colour black and white there is some part when we can see red because there is blood.
This story describes a story about a young man which create a real monster which one is not nice and helpful like in Toei animation studio.
The doctor which make alive Frankenstein has a woman which one he loves. The monster kills her I think it was because of jealousy or maybe he thought that she was dangerous for his "master" I can not clearly understand. This moment is the only one scene when we can see the third colour which is red (blood).
The end is not clear for me because the monster just disappears from the frame we can not see what happened.
To be honest, this animation was not bad, we can see what a story author want to show. But I think on the background should be drawn to make space even just a line to point out the ground.
Frankenweenie is the next animation which I am inspired to create a story about Frankenstein. It was written by Tim Burton at 1984 but this one which I am inspired is remade from 2012.
The story is about a teenager which one is yearning for his dead dog.
The boy's longing for his dog Sparky that much that after biological lessons where was showed impact electrical impulse for a body he decided to use this knowledge to make his dog alive.
He creates a small laboratory in his room and at the lightning night, he makes his dog alive.
This animation is something that I am inspired the most. The author of this story is one of my favourites. I want to create animation with black and white colour with a little bit mysterious vibe like in Tim Burtons movie and use lightning as a tool which one will make alive Frankenstein.
References:
Toei Animation Studio 1981 "Monster of Frankenstein" bing.com uploaded by mzinald 2015 accessed 15.11.2020
Toei Animation Studio 1981 "Monster of Frankenstein" bing.com uploaded by mzinald 2015 accessed 15.11.2020
Lily Vogel 2016 Victor bing.com accessed 15.11.2020
Tim Burton 2012 Frankenweenie uploaded by Movieclips Trailers 2012 youtube.com accessed 15.11.2020





















I think you should use more technical language in discussing the animation - when discussing a close up and how effective it is and the edits used - essentially technically how do these shots work and how does this inform your work
ReplyDeleteI think I do not understand what Miss exactly mean by "using technical language in discussing the animation" I apologise if it may sound rude but I have small knowledge about this subject that's why I prefer do not use the word which one I do not understand because I want to learn their meaning at the University thank's to professors knowledge.
DeleteCould you please give me an example of animation terminology which one I can use? Because I want to know much about this course.
I love your research, it perfectly shows how you can divide your work into other animations. I agree with you, if University has any knowledge, they should present it, not leave students on their own. I see a passion, a large number of posts and encourage as well. Why do teachers want to discourage you in each part of your work? How can you handle this?
ReplyDelete